Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Connecticut Standards for Mathematics

The common core state standards for high school mathematics in Connecticut are separated into conceptual categories.  I chose to focus on the Algebra conceptual category.  The obvious reason that I chose Algebra is that I teach Algebra.  In particular, I would like to focus on the section "creating equations".  

For example, one standard talks about graphing linear and quadratic functions.  I can use the tactile learning style by having my students set up a table with a given domain and evaluate a function by inputting numbers to find the range.  Students would then plot points on a graph on the coordinate plane.  Here, the visual learning style would be employed because students would see, for example, the difference in the graph of a linear function vs. a quadratic function.  I would use the audio learning style by explaining step by step what we are accomplishing.

1 comment:

  1. Great! I think you will find many opportunities to create projects in this class that address equations.

    ReplyDelete